Kids Kitchen was featured on YNN’s Back to School Series this past weekend. I shared peanut free lunch box ideas and tips for packing healthy lunches. Visit the video interview here: http://youtu.be/rx3mj23VNxs
Pack Healthy Kids Lunches without Allergy Risks
5 Tips for Packing Healthy and Quick Lunches:
1. Prepare. Either prepare lunches the night before and place in refrigerator, or prepare part of it (like cutting up extra fruit the day before,) or have homemade items ready to go in the freezer.
2. Bake and/or Freeze Ahead. Muffins, waffles, frozen smoothie pop molds, nut butter balls, cook popcorn and store in sealed bag, cubed cheese, etc.
3. Ask yourself is it balanced with variety? Fruit – check! Vegetable – (sometimes) check! Whole grains – check! Protein – check! Water for Hydration – check!
4. Don’t give up. If you child comes home with fruit or vegetables left in their lunches, keep trying again. Re-send in small quantities and in different ways.
5. Purchase some packaged snacks if you need to. Nut and fruit bars, pre-cut fresh fruit, bagged healthy popcorn or crackers, fruit leathers, etc.
For more lunch ideas, visit our Lunch Box page.