Spring has officially sprung in Austin with some mourning the cold days and some eagerly awaiting the summer heat. What better way to anticipate summer while keeping cool than Strawberry Lemonade… donuts! This baked donut recipe can also be made as muffins in a tin for a quick breakfast during the spring school madness. And you and your little chefs will love decorating and dipping their very own donuts… or muffins. Enjoy!
Yields 12 to 15 regular muffins or 15 to 18 donuts
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup milk
- 4 Tbsp butter, melted (or equal amount neutral oil)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup strawberries, diced
- 2 Tbsp lemon zest
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2-3 Tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin pan with muffin liners and set aside.
- Add the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt to a medium bowl and stir to combine.
- Add the milk, butter, eggs, and vanilla. Stir gently till just combined.
- Fold in the strawberries and lemon zest. This batter is thick, but just keep stirring gently to bring it together.
- Coat donut pans well with nonstick spray
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
- For glaze, mix powdered sugar with vanilla extract and milk. Glaze should be thick.
- Once donuts are completely cooled, dip or drizzle tops of donuts with glaze.
- Portion the batter out into the muffin pan, filling each well about halfway.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes for mini muffins (15-20 minutes for regular sized muffins), or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Once muffins are completely cooled, drizzle with glaze. Store extras in an airtight container for 2 days on the counter or up to a week in the fridge.