This is not just a vanilla cupcake, but an Easter Basket Cupcake topped with coconut ‘green grass’! A family tradition of our owner, Leah Smith, is to bake vanilla cupcakes, frost with buttercream, top with green shredded coconut, add jelly beans, and top it with a pipe cleaner in the shape of a handle to a basket. Creating your own Easter egg baskets is a fun and tasty way to make cupcakes this season.
We encourage you to make and get creative with supplies you already have in your home. Any colorful candy will do, even sprinkles. You could use a boxed cake mix, brownies, or bake your cake from scratch using the recipe we have here. We had some leftover pipe cleaners in our craft supplies, but if you don’t have any – you can still create these festive cupcakes.
Other ideas for green grass include; sprinkles, dyed sugar, dyed frosting applied with a tip or without, or skip the grass all together.
Whatever you may be baking this weekend, we wish you fun, yumminess, and well wishes!
- 1 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place liners in cupcake pan; makes about 16-18 cupcakes,
- Place the flour, salt, baking soda and powder into a large bowl, and whisk together.
- In another bowl, cream the butter and sugar together. Add in the wet ingredients and whisk until combined. (The batter may be clumpy, do not worry!)
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix until combined.
- Distribute the batter evenly into cupcake papers, filling each paper with about 2/3 the way up.
- Bake for about 16-18 minutes or until centers are springy to the touch.