Strawberry season is upon us! The sweet fruit makes a perfect addition to our classic drop scone recipe, the buttery goodness of the scone combined with the sweetness of the strawberries and topped to perfection with a vanilla glaze, makes this a quick favorite.
These drop scones are easily executed for even beginners. Our Jr., Sr. and Teen Chefs all enjoyed making this recipe; they learned the importance of keeping the butter chilled as they worked quickly to prepare this pastry.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, cold and cut into ¼ inch cubes
- 8 small strawberries, hulled and diced
- ¾ cup half and half
- For glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ¼ cup half and half or milk
- ? tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Add butter and cut in with a pastry cutter or with hands until mixture resembles crumbs. Toss in strawberries and coat lightly with flour.
- Add half and half and fold together gently until the mixture just begins to come together in a soft dough. Do not knead or overmix dough, or you will end up with tough scones.
- Using a large spoon or ice cream scooper, dollop dough out onto prepared tray in 12 even balls.
- Bake 16-18 minutes or until cooked through and golden brown. Remove scones to cooling rack and cool about 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, make the glaze by adding vanilla and 1 Tbsp of half and half at a time to powdered sugar until a drizzly consistency is reached.
- Once scones are cool, generously drizzle with glaze and enjoy!