The holiday season is the perfect time for traditions!
Some people like to bake and decorate sugar cookies as part of their holiday family traditions. Some people like to heat up apple cider on the stove (delicious AND it smells heavenly) and read “Twas the Night Before Christmas”. Some people like to go caroling around the neighborhood as part of their traditions.
Maybe it’s time for a NEW family holiday tradition! These “Christmas Tree Hand Pies” are both easy and delicious! They really are fun for all ages to make, and they taste SO good!
Use different shapes of cookie cutters for more variety, and red, green, and white sprinkles make it especially festive! These would be perfect for Hanukkah treats as well, just use a Star of David and some blue and white sprinkles.
Whether you’re enjoying an old classic family tradition or beginning new ones, we at Kids Kitchen wish you the merriest and brightest holiday season!
- 2 pie crusts rolled out - refrigerated; see below for recipe
- 1 jar of strawberry preserves or freshly made strawberry filling
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Christmas Tree Cookie Cutter
- Red & Green Sprinkles
- Preheat oven to pie crust baking temperature. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll out pie crusts. You can use pre-made refrigerated pie crusts or make your own (see recipe below)
- Cut them into christmas trees using cutter or free hand. Each pie needs 2 of the same size pieces.
- Put a dollop of fruit filling in the middle of one of the circles.
- Place the other crust on top and crimp the sides all around with a fork.
- Place on cookie sheet and bake according to the pie crust directions.
- Make the powdered sugar glaze by adding 1 tsp of water at a time and stirring well in bowl of powdered sugar. Until you get the right ‘drizzly’ consistency.
- When cooled, drizzle the glaze on top and add sprinkles, optional.