When it comes to chili, everyone has their own way that they like it. Some people really like a classic Texas Chili (heavy on the meat, no beans at all), and some like to add in beans and tomatoes. This chili recipe takes a whole new look at chili, and it is AMAZING. Who doesn’t love a boost of Vitamin B & C, because sweet potatoes are loaded with these and high in the antioxidant Beta Carotene which coverts to Vitamin A in our bodies. There you have it – we call that an ABC chili with Vitamin A, B & C!
We recently featured this at our Annual Fall Fest and it was a hit!
Check out all of these amazing topping options! Corn chips, Tortilla Chips, Onions, Tomatoes, Cheese, Cilantro, and more!
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 lb. ground meat (leave out for vegetarian chili)
- 6 cups sweet potatoes peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp ground red pepper, leave out if want super mild flavor
- 2 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 28 oz. crushed tomatoes canned
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth or water
- 15 oz. sweet whole kernel corn canned, drained
- 15 oz. black beans canned, drained
- Tortilla chips, optional
- Cilantro, chopped, optional
- Jalapeno, sliced and seeds removed, optional
- Cheddar Cheese, grated, optional
- Sour cream (or Greek Yogurt), optional
- Cooked rice, optional
- Dice the onion and saute in a large stock pot with about 1 tbsp oil. Cook on medium heat until onions are translucent.
- Add the ground meat and break it up into a large pot and brown over medium-high heat, if using.
- Add sweet potatoes and saute for another 2 minutes.
- Add canned crushed tomatoes, stock or water, and all of the seasonings. (leave beans and corn out for now)
- Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 20-30 minutes or until potatoes are cooked through.
- Add beans and corn, drained and rinsed.Taste and add more salt if it needs it. Simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Top with cheese & corn chips, fresh jalapeno pepper, cilantro, dollop of sour cream (or plain Greek yogurt) or serve over rice.