This week in the Kids Kitchen, we made Whole Grain Personal Pizzas! This is a super quick and nutritious snack (or meal) that our little Chefs really enjoy creating themselves. The whole grain crust is made by their little hands, and they each picked their favorite toppings: like bell peppers, black olives, mushrooms, onions and more!
- 2 cups flour
- ? cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 18 large marshmallows, cut in half horizontally
- Optional garnish: finely chopped chocolate or crushed peppermints
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, or large bowl with hand mixer, beat the butter and both sugars on medium speed until creamy, about 2 minutes.
- Mix in the eggs and vanilla extract, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Reduce the mixing speed to low, and slowly add the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined.
- Scoop by rounded tablespoon onto prepared baking sheets leaving about 2 inches between dough balls.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. Carefully remove the pan from the oven. Working quickly, press one marshmallow half into the center of each cookie. Return the pan to the oven and bake for another 1-2 minutes to allow the marshmallow to soften but not run.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven. Allow cookies to cool on the tray for a few minutes. Add any desired garnish. Then eat warm or transfer to a cooling rack to finish cooling completely.