Mini muffin donuts, are they muffins? Are they donuts? Yes! This recipe is easy to put together with pantry staples. They bake up quickly in a mini muffin pan, and then can be coated in your choice of flavor. The result is homemade donut holes. Add an icing or berry jam for dipping, or enjoy on their own. Fun for a dessert, snack, or breakfast!
Yields 24 mini donuts
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp butter, softened
- 1 egg
- ½ cup milk
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ Tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- Cinnamon Sugar Coating:
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ Tbsp ground cinnamon
- ½ Tbsp cocoa powder (optional)
- 4 Tbsp (½ stick) butter, melted and cooled
- Icing Dip:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ¼ cup milk
- 1/8 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 24 cup mini muffin tin and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Add the egg and whisk to combine. Add milk and whisk again.
- Add in flour, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg and mix until just combined.
- Fill the prepared mini muffin tin and bake until golden and toothpick inserted comes out clean, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- For the cinnamon sugar topping, combine sugar, cinnamon, and cocoa (if using) in a small bowl and mix together. Melt butter in another small bowl.
- Roll each mini muffin donut in the melted butter to coat before transferring to the cinnamon sugar and toss to coat. Allow to sit for about 5 minutes for butter to soak in and cinnamon sugar to fully adhere. These are also good rolled in powdered sugar or coated in the icing dip for a glazed donut hole.
- For icing dip, place powdered sugar and vanilla in a bowl. Starting with 2 tablespoons, add just enough of the milk to reach a drizzly consistency.
- Dip donut muffins and enjoy!