Every great BBQ meal needs the perfect side dish. You’ve spent all that time prepping, marinating and grilling a pork loin, burger, steak, etc… and you know you need something to brighten up your plate. The perfect compliment! Jak’s Slaw is the answer. It has a sweet and spicy flavor that just makes your mouth happy. Fix some ahead of time and keep in the fridge for Saturday night. Everyone will love it.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2/3 cup green beans, cut bite size
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp dried basil
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup elbow pasta (or any short pasta)
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14.5 oz) can kidney beans, drained
- 1/3 cup corn cut off the cob or frozen
- 1 small zucchini, quartered and sliced
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- Optional garnish: fresh chopped basil or parsley, pesto drizzle
- Heat olive oil in large pot over medium high heat. Add onion, celery, and carrots, cook until softened. Add green beans, oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Cook another 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook around 30 seconds
- Pour in broth and tomatoes. Bring to boil. Then add pasta and beans. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer until pasta is al dente, 8- 10 minutes.
- Add in corn and zucchini, cooking another 2 minutes.
- Serve with a generous sprinkle of parmesan cheese and any other desired garnishes.
This is a good way to use up vegetables on hand or that you prefer. Chicken broth can be used instead of vegetable broth, but it does tend to take over the flavor of the soup a bit more.